Work Smarter, Not Harder03-11-2020
Well….we do work hard too!! Our VDC department definitely utilizes the latest technology & equipment to make work easier for those in the field. They went to the facility, took a 3D laser scan of the area, and then built a model (left photo below) for our fabrication shop to utilize. Our team in the fab shop took the model and prefabricated all the pipe that would eventually get installed for the fuzzy filters. From these photos you can see how accurate our model is compared to the actual piping installed (right photo below).
Okay, so I know what you are wondering now. What are the benefits of utilizing BIM?
1. Safety – most work is performed in our fab shop versus on site, reducing changes for an incident to occur
2. Coordination – potential issues can be discussed before actual construction starts on site
3. Reducing Downtime – prefabricating work allows the plant to continue operation right up until installation
4. Accuracy – the accuracy of the scanner to 1/16th of an inch allows for very accurate dimensions, limiting human error
5. Efficiency – labor in our fab shop saves on costs to the Owner & expedites the schedule
To read more about our scanning & modeling capabilities check our our website: https://ipscontractor.com/scanning-modeling/